Saturday, July 21, 2012

Matt's "Garage" Project

Last summer or maybe in the dead of winter, I heard my friend Matt say he was thinking about building a garage.  I said, "I might work with you on that."  Then a couple months later he got serious!

He found a real nice plan.  I can't find it right now so I'll have to give you the link later.

We were thinking we would be able to start by the end of May.  Then we thought the beginning of June.  Then middle of June.  Maybe the end?  No.  We started the second week of July.


The excavation took forever, but they did have to put a lot of rock back into the earth.  They had to go down 10 feet before there was solid earth - and then fill it up again with rock.

Hard Rock Construction did the foundation.  It looks good while we wait for the pad to be poured.  They were really good to work with.

The main house is to the right of the foundation.





One wall up, another one on the way.













Three walls up.











Four walls up, and time for the first floor beam, 26 feet long, 2 feet high, and 5 and a quarter inches wide.

It always amazes me that the rental places let me rent equipment that I have no idea how to operate!  But, you give them your credit card, and with a two minute lesson, you're off on your own!  Fun!







Four walls, beam, and the BCIs are in.  Looks ready for plywood.

This was pretty much a week's work.

But it's not done yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bill! Bob gave me your blog link, so I put you in my blog reader and will look forward to following your adventures. I run four blogs for my paintings. You guys are certainly amazing, both in project and travel terms. Ashley astounded me too this summer with her painted silks! Good luck with Matt's garage.

    We haven't set the date yet, but I hope to see you and Mary Louise when I visit AK (hopefully next summer if not sooner). Love the picture of the 4 of you playing cards in the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for looking and joining! For quite awhile, I had two members: Mary Louise and myself!! I don't know how you run 4 blogs and a website. Impressive. Yep, hope to see you next year or sometime soon.

      Delete