Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 2: Canoeing the Blackwater River

On the second evening, we were hanging out in the dark around the fire, and ML says, "How long do you think you could do this?"  It was a good question.  I love to be outside, away from people and cars and houses.  Even retired without a whole heck of a lot to do in my "normal" life,  I felt impatience with the first half day of canoeing.  The second day started about the same way, but less so by the end of it.  But neither of us could see ourselves doing it day after day for weeks at an end.  It was fun to dream and imagine and talk about, but not to really do.

  
It was cold during the night!  I would guess the temps were in the low 40's or upper 30's.  Despite the written advertising on our sleeping bags of 30 degrees or less, we had to put all our clothes on except our heaviest jackets.  Even then, it was touch and go. I even made a morning fire to warm us up.

But the sun soon cleared the trees and made a huge difference.  I tried to get a photo of a shaft of sunlight glowing through a thin veil of rising mist.




At this point, the river is still fairly narrow.  The current ran at roughly 2-3 knots.  The day before, there were quite of few obstructions like downed trees and overhanging branches that we had to test our dormant canoeing skills to get around.  But as we alternately drifted and paddled down, there were fewer obstructions and the river got wider.






I enjoyed looking down into the river.  The fall leaves were beginning to turn.  Every once in a while, the wind would initiate a shower of red, as if it was snowing leaves into the river.  The leaves would get caught on snags and branches in the water.  The water made them glow with color. 









I tried to get a photo of the cypress growing in the middle of the river with the maple behind it.  But, I was too slow and opportunity passed.

At least I can remember the beauty of the missed opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment