Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Erie Canal Bicycle Trip Overview

“Do you guys want to bicycle the Erie Canal next Fall?” my brother asked.
“I dunno.” I replied.
“It'll be flat,” Bob explained.

Eight months later, there we were. We made a good choice – it was a great trip.

The Erie Canal extends from North Tonawanda outside Buffalo to Albany for a distance of 360 miles – or vice versa. We decided to start on the western end to take advantage of the prevailing westerly winds. Hmmm.

You can see I took this picture on the eastern end.

The Canal Trail is well maintained and well marked. Most of it is along the towpath right next to the Canal which is closed to motorized traffic. There are times when you have to bicycle on real roads either in the countryside or in city traffic - but not much.

The Erie Canal has a very interesting history. I will let you read about it here, rather than pretend I know something.
These trip snippets are intended to be enjoyed and to entice you to go out and do your trip, wherever it may lead.

The Canal Trail was well marked, mostly with these signs:










I particularly like this sign, which was a bit confusing to me.  Unfortunately, it was a weekday!!!  Which way?









My only advice is to go.  It'll be fun.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment