Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 14: Breakfast at Denny's!!!

Day 14     Rome to Herkimer     10/4     30 miles

Sometimes it's the little things in life.  We had not eaten at a "chain" restaurant yet in the trip, but our breakfast at Denny's hit the spot - and I'm not necessarily a Denny's fan - and I know it's not Mary Louise's favorite.  Maybe I will be now - or maybe it's like the great taste of hot dogs over a fire on a picnic in the sun with plenty of beer - good at the time but don't try it at home.

We rode through the city of Utica.  It was great fun as we pedaled through various ethnic neighborhoods: first Vietnamese, then Cambodian, African, Italian, and more.  It would have been fun to eat our way through the neighborhoods.  Then we hit small towns on a two lane road: Frankfort, Ilion, Mohawk, and then Herkimer.

The Herkimer Motel and Suites was a great place to stay.  Dick's Bicycle Shop tightened up my crank in a big way.  Kept the special washer in and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble since.  Dick's is a great shop with a mix of classic and new bicycles in a homey atmosphere.  I'd like a shop like that someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment