Friday, April 13, 2012

Book Review: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach



Read it.

What could be better than a book that surrounds you with sports, love, failure, and hope?  But I better correct myself.  Mr. Harbach doesn't just surround you, he makes you a part of it - feeling the confusion of Henry's fielding,  Mike's groping for meaning when he's sitting on it, and Pella's confusion on who she really is and whether she'll figure it out. 
Is it perfect?  No, there are lots of complaints.  Shoot, just read a selection of Amazon reviewers  - 342 of them on this date, as a matter of fact.  Most of the reviewers have legitimate complaints - if Mr. Harbach was Mark Twain or William Faulkner or Leo Tolstoy.  But, I had fun reading it - and it's not always easy for me these days to find something that is fun to read and has something to say, too. 

I won't ruin it for you.  But I loved the burial scene.  When I die, I'd like to pay for a big party with friends and relatives and a big bonfire to throw me on after everyone is drunk or high or both.  But it might be like my mom and dad, no-one will be alive by then to stoke the fire.    This is the second best.

I hope you try it and have a good time reading it.  If not, blast me in well thought out comment! (Maybe it will be my first comment ever!)

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, or do like I do, and borrow it free from your library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment