Friday, February 21, 2014

Bicycling the "Florida Overseas Heritage Trail" - Day 4

The day dawned with less wind and climbing temperatures.  Today was a 27 mile day, and much of it was in more populated areas such as Islamorada and Key Largo.  The goal was to ride to the end of the trail at mile 106.5, but alas, it was not to be!

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  First off, it was time for breakfast.  I asked to use ML's Iphone and checked the app "Around Me."  Super!  There's a breakfast place just a mile and a half up the road.  After 1.5 mile, no place.  Oops, it was going the other way!  Not so fast!  People say the Iphones are user friendly, but I guess you have to have some intelligence as a user.  Luckily, we happened on a place and ended up full and happy anyway.


After 25 miles or so, we found our destination, the Key Largo Kampground/Rv Park.  It was very pleasant and had a nice pool to cool off in.

ML and Glenda got a real kick out of the loudspeaker system where someone would get on and say, "ATTENTION CAMPERS: TONIGHT IS BINGO AT 7 P.M. IN THE LOUNGE.   GOOD LUCK!!" 

ML and I opted for the Bingo and I won $8.50.  There were people there operating 6 or 8 boards.  I could only manage one, but I showed them!!!


 We took off our gear and were excited to ride to the end of the trail, but we were met with construction and traffic. 

We opted for ice cream instead, in order to garner enough energy to propel our bicycles south the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment