Friday, February 7, 2014

Expedition Wherry - Part VIII - Dumb Cluck

It's been awhile since I posted progress, or lack thereof, on the boat.  Here is the deck all trimmed, with cloth and epoxy on it.




For one thing, I'm disgusted with myself.  As you may remember, in the last post the deck went on nicely by being taped down with packing tape.  It looked good.  The next day I trimmed it up and laid down the cloth with a coat of epoxy.  It looked great!



NOT SO FAST, Private Smith!  It must have gotten too late in the day and even though it looked great when I was finished, the next morning when I went out to see my beautiful work, the areas that I epoxied last were white underneath from moisture.

It's hard to see in this photo, but take my word for it, there's a white sheen under mixed in with the cured epoxy.




You can see the white much better in this photo, even though this is taken later when the cockpit coaming is already in place.

 As with most people, I had a vision for what I wanted the boat to look like: specifically, I the hull was to be a light "Largo" blue, the interior cockpit "Seattle Gray," and the deck, coaming, and rubrail was to be beautiful varnished wood.

Visions be damned, I was not going to sand all the epoxy and cloth off and start over!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I was too late in the day to epoxy and just a little moisture (dew) fell. The areas of epoxy that had time to dry turned out great. The areas that were covered the latest had the white kind of "texture" in them.

      Thanks for viewing and asking!

      Delete