Thursday, January 16, 2014

Building the Expedition Wherry, Part I

I started the building the Expedition Wherry a month or more ago.  I ordered the kit from Chesapeake Light Craft out of Annapolis, MD.  I really like CLC Boats.  This is my third boat that I've built using CLC: first a small kayak from plans and then Jimmie Skiff from a kit.

A big part of the delay in writing about building the wherry is trying to figure out what it is that I'm trying to say.  To be honest, a "how-to" blog is more than I can handle - I get started and forget to take the picture that shows what I need to show, etc. etc.  Plus, CLC provides a 143 page manual with hundreds of pictures along with the kit or plans - which is many times better than anything I could ever do - plus, what little audience I have would be bored to tears.

So here we go.  It's better just to take a little step and see what happens.  Maybe I can inspire someone to build a little boat: it's fun to do and the boat is fun to use when you finish.





Not long after a person takes the plunge and lists his or her credit card info in the proper slots, a nicely packed bunch of parts shows up.

The flat box is the wooden parts.  The box on the right contains the epoxy.  The box in the back is our laundry.














Don't you love opening boxes?  It's just like Christmas.



The parts you see will result in a boat - hopefully.  In fact, the boat will be about 18 feet long.


No comments:

Post a Comment