Saturday, January 25, 2014

Expedition Wherry: Part VII

I think, and hope, that everything is ready to put on the main deck.



First, the fun part - taking a block plane and planing the bevel for the deck.  CLC provided a board that was a copy of the deck camber.

Planing wood with a nice sharp blade is fun and rewarding.  The shavings come off with a sweet curl.  I was tired of epoxy, and it felt good to be working with wood and a nice block plane.







First, the deck needs to be scarfed together.  With the puzzle joints and available weight, it's a piece of cake.















Looks a lot better without the buckets and weight on the joints.

















The boat is cleaned up and ready.















The bevel of the sheer strips looks good too as you look the length of the boat from the stern.
















Mix up some epoxy and sawdust, put it in a quart plastic bag, snip off the corner, and spread it on all surfaces that the deck will touch.









I love it.  The instructions are to use packing tape and tape the deck on!!  To be honest, I was dubious as to taping as a boatbuilding method.  But, it worked a lot better than I thought it would.

First ML and I set the deck on top - it needed both of us.  Then I taped at the frames and then every foot, and then wherever it looked like it needed it.  Looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment