Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day Hike #2: Left and Left and the SUN!

 I had been above the Arctic Circle before, but hadn't spent any time there.  And, I did know that we were in the "Land of the Midnight Sun."  But, I was unprepared for the whirling feeling of the sun going round and round and round in a circle - and its omnipresence.   It just doesn't let you up - it just keeps beating on you.

I lucked out on my outdoor gear.  I feel confident in what goes in my backpack in Southeast Alaska - good raingear and clothes that are warm when wet being the most important items.  But Alaska is so huge with different environments that I felt very confused when I packed my gear to go to the Brooks Range.  According to the National Park Service, precipitation averages between 8 and 18 inches, depending on whether you are on the east or west side of the Range.

I was prepared for the light, but I wasn't prepared for the heat.  With the sun shining so much of the time, sometimes it was downright hot!  I also didn't really think about the fact that the air was dry!  It was downright easy to wash and dry clothes!  It felt more like Utah or Arizona than Alaska.

On the other hand, it did cool off between 10 p.m. and midnight.  In fact, the first night we were at base camp, there was frost on the backpack covers. 



A laundry tree!  It doesn't take long to dry.











It still feels good carrying just a day pack.





They look a lot happier than with their big packs on, huh?











Today was a bit steeper, but still nice climbing.  It was rough and tiring, however, to continually hop and balance from rock to rock.










A rain squall interrupted a well deserved lunch.  We crawled under a big rock and it was definitely more pleasant.  Some people say I was born under a rock . . .

It was fun to watch the water cascade and drain off the big granite cliffs. 






No comments:

Post a Comment