Thursday, August 15, 2013

Honda N600 rebuild Part 2: The Problem, You See . . .

The woman that had the car lives on the ocean here in Sitka.  Surprisingly, her garage door faces the ocean - and there's no driveway.  Hmmmm.  The car hadn't moved in 20 years, so with the help of a friend (I only have one, whew!), we pushed the car out the garage door, turned right onto the lawn, and up the hill to the driveway.  We pushed her on a trailer and drove her home to our three car garage.

After a year (literally) of goofing with tires and brakes, I fired her up.  And it started!  Wow.  Amazing.  The only problem was there was no exhaust or muffler left.  It was LOUD!

And . . . . when I parked it, I looked in the garage after a couple days and oil was pouring out of the engine somewhere.  After considerable "research" on users groups like ANZHonda600OW and 2Cylinder Hondas, I discovered that my model engine had two 0-rings that liked to fail over 30 years or more. 

I knew that you wanted to see them, so here they are:


But here I am getting ahead of myself again.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't tell us about the oil leak! Now you need to get new o-rings as well as a muffler & exhaust system? Gonna be hard to fit that in this Sitka-season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah. I'm condensing the time. The original reason I took it all apart was the oil leak - two years ago!

    ReplyDelete