Thursday, August 29, 2013

Honda N600 Engine Rebuild, Part 5

Despite the intervening 42 years, the engine guts looked pretty good.




The top of the pistons are a bit grungy.












But the cylinders don't look too bad - no serious rust or pitting, although there is some small pits that really shouldn't be there.

Another thing I think I've learned about engines - it's amazing what they can deal with and still run.  I polished up the cylinders and didn't worry about it.  My goal is not to race the car or even show it.

I'm just hoping to drive it around town as a "second car."








Yes, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN to leave well enough alone.

I tore the engine apart in January of 2113.  I cleaned and scraped all the parts.  I had all the new gaskets and seals and was ready to go.

But . . . . I had to take a look at the rings.  But when getting one off, it went PING and broke.  That made me happy.

I covered everything with old sheets and ordered $70 of new rings.  At least I could get them.  But I wouldn't be back until April - it will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment