Saturday, September 21, 2013

PERU: Walking the Saltankay Route to Machu Picchu, Day 12

We climb Huayna (or Wayna) Picchu, the mountain behind Machu Picchu - and then take the train and bus back to Cusco.   And my camera dies!

We get up early to hop the bus and get to the entrance gate by 8 a.m., ticket in hand, legs ready for the 1100 vertical foot climb to the top of Huayna Picchu.  The trail is limited as to the number of people that can go up it. 

To be honest, I was nervous about it.  I had turned back on the Angel's Landing trail at Zion National Park. 

But all was well.  The trail, although steep, had vegetation around it.  So, the sheer drops to never never land that bother me never appeared.  Whew!

In fact, you had to go through some tunnels in the rocks!





It was another blue sky, fluffy cloud morning.

There were a few more people than I would have liked, but you can't have everything!







My Canon G9 camera has been a stalwart device.  It has survived rough treatment: freezing temperatures in winter camping, blowing grit and sand on river trips, the incessant rain of Southeast Alaska, and banging around on airplanes, backpacks, boats - you name it. 

But after being dragged across a rock or two by accident in the aforementioned cave/tunnel, it took a few pictures on top and died.  True to a fine camera, it let me take the last pictures of Machu Picchu that you see here!



I confess that I would have liked to take a picture or two of the stone houses and terracing at the top - and I mean almost literally at the top. 

I couldn't believe the effort it must have taken to build them there.  But what a view!  Just be careful when you open the door at night to take a whiz.



The rest of the day was fun, too.  We got back to Aguas Calientes in time for a shower and our 3 course lunch.  Then we boarded the train and rode for a couple of hours to a town where we disembarked and climbed aboard a bus for another couple of hours. 

After 5 days or so of an intense, slow, ground level walking perspective, it was just nice to observe Peru from a greater overview of towns both tiny and large, scenery, cars, people, houses - you name it.   I thought it was a great way to end the trip, just sitting and watching the Peruvian world go by.  I can't say I have any pictures, however!

No comments:

Post a Comment