Sunday, September 22, 2013

PERU: Walking the Saltankay Route to Machu Picchu, Conclusion

Home again, home again.  Up at 4 a.m., we caught a flight to Lima and then from there through Miami and then Tampa.   We were both sorry to leave Peru.

Here are a few overall thoughts and opinions. 

For one, the trip reviewers on the REI website are correct.  It was a 5 star trip in all ways: enjoyment, organization, food, housing - all of it.  Expensive?  Yes.  But worth it.

Secondly, I felt that we had a great group of people.  Not one person was obnoxious: everyone was pleasant and fun to get to know and fun to be with as a part of the group.  I really enjoyed everyone, which I would say is fairly unusual not to have at least one obnoxious person (but maybe I was that person!!!!)

Thirdly, the best trips for me are ones that combine some physical exercise in the out-of-doors.  This was especially true as we walked through different ecosystems: from high mountain passes to jungle.

Fourth, the Incas and "modern" Peru were fascinating to me - as always, at least some part of it is personal preference.  As someone who enjoys building and construction and mountain hiking, the Incan building, design and construction, fascination with the mountains, and trail system kept my interest.

So there you go.  Since my camera up and died, I'll leave you with some of ML's photos featuring food and flowers and lodging.  You're lucky - she usually takes a lot better pictures than I do!





All of the lodges had "towel figurines" waiting for us. 









This is the group area in the Lucma Lodge (the one down in the coffee/avocado area).   All four lodges were just fun to stay in - possibly because they were built for 12 people.

Doesn't this look like a great room to hang out in?












The flowers were amazing in color and configuration.















And the food!  This is what is left of "solterito," a bean and corn salad.   It was great.





Quinoa chicken with a brown rice and vegetable salad, and the "presentation" of the meals was excellent.   I confess that I can't tell you what the red sauce is.


I'm not sure what this is called either, but it's an avocado salad that we had up at our lunch spot overlooking Machu Picchu for the first time.   Talk about fresh and perfectly ripe avocado.  Wow.




I love salmon, and even though I was pretty sure that this is farmed fish from Chile, I had to try "pisco" cured salmon.  And I was glad I did.  It was outstanding.

REMINDER:  DO NOT EAT FARMED SALMON.  EAT ONLY WILD CAUGHT ALASKAN FISH. 












And don't forget the beverages.  This was an Andean brew that tasted mighty fine. 

We also loved the Peruvian Tacama Tinto, which was a "full bodied" red wine blend.

You can see that Tom is enjoying himself in the back.  Cheers!









And don't forget - if you get hungry, there's always the Peruvian treat wandering around you're kitchen floor enjoying the treats thrown on the floor from cooking dinner.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment