Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kitchen - get ready before you go: ceiling sheetrock wiring, and blocking

In any project, it's always get ready to get ready to actually make some definite progress.  There's nothing more I'd like to do than throw up some sheetrock and get out of the dirt, but . . .

I've goofed up before by not making sure the wall cabinets have something to screw to.  So I need to make sure there's backing for all the cabinets.   Since most is cinder block wall, that means drilling and screwing using "tapcon" screws.  Luckily they work pretty well - AND - and this is important, BUY A HAMMER DRILL.  I got mine at Home Depot for $80 or so, and it is well worth it.  From my point of view, it's a necessity for drilling in concrete and concrete block.

I also ran low voltage wires for the undercounter LED lighting.  I'm excited about that.  We really like undercounter lighting and the new LED stuff looks great to me - narrow ribbons to install and not hot like other undercounter lights I've installed.



Here we are all blocked (the light colored wood is the most recent) for the wall cabinets and the range hood.  You can see the low voltage wire (I used good speaker wire, I hope it's OK!!!) in the lower middle  of the picture hanging down from the metal protective plate (so I don't drive a sheet rock screw through the wire).


Same thing on the other wall.  I think we're ready to wrap it up in gypsum and make it look like a real room.

No comments:

Post a Comment