Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kitchen - sheetrock, mudding, and taping, WHEW!

Hanging and finishing the sheetrock took me from Bob's non-birthday on 2/28 until March 3.  Part of that was any area that matched "old" wall finish needed two layers of 1/2 inch sheetrock.  That meant that the exposed ceiling took two layers, as well as the dining room wall.

Also, we've learned through previous grave errors, that the sheetrock finish is one of the most important factors in enjoying what you've done for many years to come.  So I'll just give you some pictures to lead you through.



I used 5/8" rock for the cinder block walls.  I thought that would keep the walls straighter.



All rock hung, and first tape job.  Luckily, on a kitchen, you don't have to spend too much time behind wall and base cabinets.


Second coat of mud.  Because of the time crunch, I had to use chemically dried mud - which I don't like much - you have to keep mixing and washing, mixing and washing, ad nauseum.


Third coat.  I was most concerned with the ceiling.  Someone had tried to patch it when paint bubbled and it didn't work very well.  The only way that I could figure out how to make it come out well was to overlay the whole thing with 1/4" sheet rock.  But it was still wavy and problematic.  No good having a brand new kitchen with a lousy ceiling! 


I spent quite a while on the ceiling, and it turned out reasonably well.  Plus, it's nice because kitchen lighting points down.  If we had a chandelier or some lighting that points up, I would have touched it up even further.

Just about the last coat, and we're ready to sand and prime.


Sanding is my favorite job.  NOT.  Looks like the mask worked OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment