Friday, February 15, 2013

Kitchen Remodel #7

Time to get serious before Hannah gets here.

First, decision time.  Part of the fun and hassle of remodeling is all the decisions.  The work is easy.  ML and I decide it's crunchtime and we need to make some decisions on what plumbing reparis we're going to pay for, whether we're going to pay someone else to do the rough-in electrical, and what we're going to order for a stove hood and flooring.  ML tackles the stove hood and flooring.  More on this process later!

First, another trip to Home Depot for the plumbing supplies that I think I'll need.  Back home again, I pried up the next 4 foot by 12 foot section of 1X6 inch subfloor.   I also figured how far back I was going to have to move the "closet" wall to accommodate the new location of the refrigerator.  I wanted to install the water connection for the frig water and ice maker while I was plumbing.



I cut a hole in the wall big enough to drill a hole through the plate and subfloor and accommodate the "fixture."  The wall where the sheet rock is cut out on the right will be removed and moved back 7 inches after Hannah departs.














Pipes can look rotten and not be, but you don't really know.  Water is expensive in Tampa and we don't really want to owe for thousands of gallons when a pipe bursts while we were away for the weekend.  Time to fix part of the problem, which is to replace the pipe leading to the right in the picture.  It goes to the kitchen sink.





There are so many things that I don't know, it amazes me.  I start to tie the white pipe into the tan pipe (which is the main supply) and it wouldn't fit into the fittings I had!!!  OH NO, Hannah is coming in 3 hours and we won't have any water!!!  Panic!!!

I brush off dirty sand as best I can, cut a small section of both pipes, and rush over to the hardware store where I can ask someone.  "Oh, you need hot water fittings . .  .  they're slightly different in diameter."  All I'm thinking is "WHEW, I won't have to call a plumber for an emergency at 4 p.m. on Friday night."

Ten minutes later after I get back to the house, we're glued in and I turn on the water.  Miracles occur anytime - no leaks.




With 12 feet of plywood screwed temporarily, the skeletons are safely in the sand beneath us and we're ready for Hannah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment