Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Kitchen - Stove vent hood ductwork

The last major task before putting up sheet rock was to run the ducting for the stove hood.  Up until now, there was a fan in the ceiling that vented into the attic - not a good idea - nor does it follow code.

 Fortunately, or unfortunately in this case, we have hip tile roof.  This meant that I couldn't run the duct straight up through the roof without breaking up tile.  Nor could I run it out a gable since there wasn't one.  I decided to go up and over the garage and then under the eave - about 12 feet.

I knew it was going to take most all day - getting parts at the store and figuring out where it was going to come out the eave, and then cutting parts to fit - if they would.  I got a bit lucky by finding a way to put together 2 three foot lengths of 3 1/2 by 10 inch ducting with a 90 degree angle and sliding the whole rig through the eave.  It was just long enough that I could crawl up in the attic and reach it to fasten the next lengths of pipe.

If you look under the black wire, you can see the rectangular duct ready for me to crawl back there and attach another piece.  Doesn't it look fun with all kinds of room?  This part of the attic over the garage doesn't have insulation, so it could have been worse.



Again, I was lucky because I had just enough space to crawl up through when I ripped out the old soffit.  I didn't have to crawl 25 feet from the crawl space entry just to get there.  The picture on the left shows where I crawl up and where the stove will be someday.

Anyway, it worked.  I didn't find a cover for the eave that looked nice, but I stapled screening over it for now.  It's ugly though, and I'll need to get back to it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment